FACTS ABOUT SINGLE-USE PLASTIC STRAWS
- Plastic straws cannot be recycled because they’re made of such a low grade of plastic
- Since usually they’re only used once plastic straws are more likely to reach the oceans and waterways
- They contain BPA which is a proven harmful chemical
- Straws are routinely one of the Top Ten items found during beach cleanups
- 611,048 straws/stirrers found in 2015 International Coastal Cleanup (Ocean Conservancy)
- In the U.S. alone, we use 500 million straws a day.
By signing this pledge, you declare that you are committed to the alternatives of single-use plastic straws: reusable plastic straws, reusable stainless steel straws, sustainable paper straws, or simply saying, “NO STRAW PLEASE” to your server/bartender.